Flavorful cabbage casserole has all the flavors of stuffed cabbage, but requires much less work. Leftovers are delicious, warmed up or at room temperature.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Rest time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 6 servings
Calories 281 kcal
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium green cabbage,
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
1 medium onion,
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (26 oz container) Pomi chopped tomatoes, drained
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart (7 X 11-inch) baking dish with olive oil.
2. Place the chopped cabbage in a colander. Wash it but do not dry. The water adhering to the cabbage will allow it
to steam. Place in a large pot, cover, and turn heat to high. When cabbage starts to steam, lower heat to medium
and steam until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
3. Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Add the beef and
the onion and cook until beef is browned, about 5 minutes, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden
spoon. Add the garlic, paprika, thyme and cayenne and cook 30 seconds, stirring.
4. Add the drained tomatoes, salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring often, 5-10 minutes, or until liquids have
evaporated. Turn heat off and stir in the cooked cabbage until well-incorporated.
5. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, pressing on it to flatten. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake,
uncovered, 30 minutes, until casserole is bubbly and cheese is browned. Carefully tilt baking dish into the sink
and pour out any extra liquid. Allow to rest 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Courtesy of: https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2014/11/14/cabbage-casserole/