Atchison Farmers’ Market
Market E-Newsletter for Saturday, September 14, 2013
8 a.m. to 12 noon
We have a lot going on this morning! R2D will entertain us today. And, the Chic Gypsy Café will be here again after being away a few Saturdays. Wolf River Nursery will be here this weekend with beautiful ‘mums.
The Atchison Farmers’ Market will have a booth at the Taste of Atchison event next Friday evening from 5 to 8 p.m.
We will have one more Market Bundle Give-away on the first Saturday of October. Lynn Hoffman is on vacation, but you can come to my stand (Long View Farm) to register.
Musicians are welcome to play at the Market. Just call me (Betty Fischer) so I can advertise for you (913 709 5050).
Vendor Produce (Saturday, September 14):
Cedar Lane Farm (Carrie Kesse and Kirk Russell)
Organically grown produce and plants.
Chic Gypsy Café (Sierra Fox)
Espresso drinks (lattes, breves, cappuccinos, . . .etc.) and teas – iced as well, smoothies, , creamy chai teas, Italian cream sodas, freshly brewed drip coffee, cold pressed, and iced coffee.
Cupcake Haven (Haven Fry)
Will return next market season.
DT Farms (Dan and Trina Earl)
Corn, peppers, and tomatoes.
Elias Honey (Chuck Elias)
New summer honey, honey sticks.
Emilie Koehn – The Pie Lady
Fruit pies, bread, sweet rolls, and cookies.
Genova Farms (Debbie and Mark Genova)
Green beans, new potatoes, sweet onions, beets, carrots, okra, cucumbers, and zucchini.
Jirak Farm (Mark Jirak and Family)
Cantaloupe, honeydew melons, bell peppers, sweet corn, cucumbers, green beans, squash, tomatoes, and watermelon.
L & R Farms (Monie Frakes)
Sweet candy onions, green beans, new potatoes, tomatoes, sweet corn, zucchini, yellow squash, patty pan squash, okra, cucumbers, sweet banana peppers, hot banana peppers, eggplant, and peaches, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, carrots, brussel sprouts, cantaloupe, and watermelon.
Long View Farm (Gunther and Betty Fischer)
Beets, brown eggs, jams (apple butter, jalapeno jelly, peach, pear honey, and tomato preserves), leeks, potatoes (Corola, Colorado Rose, and Purple Mountain), large and cherry tomatoes, zucchini, zinnias, and banana muffins.
Lynn Hoffman (Market Manager)
On vacation for a couple of weeks.
Mallow Farm (Barbara Bramblett and Jim Mallow)
May be at market if enough produce.
The Tortilla Man (Gilbert Gasper)
Fresh homemade tortillas.
Providence Farm (Christy Harris)
Artisan breads made with locally grown organic wheat, brown eggs, goat milk soap and lotion, and snow cones.
Willenskraft (Rick Vanderweide and Cindy Timmons)
Garlic pesto varieties.
Wolf River Nursery (Tim Unruh and family)
‘Mums and other nursery plants.
Here is a healthy green bean recipe
Paprika Shrimp & Green Bean Saute
Green beans add snap and color to the garlicky shrimp and butter beans in this Spanish-inspired sauté. Slightly pricier prepeeled shrimp are worth it, given the amount of time they save on a harried weeknight. Serve with quinoa or brown rice.
Makes: 6 servings; Active Time: 30 minutes; Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 cups green beans, trimmed (about 12 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 pound raw shrimp, (21-25 per pound; see Note), peeled and deveined
- 2 16-ounce cans large butter beans, or cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar, or red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Put green beans in a steamer basket, place in the pan, cover and steam until tender-crisp, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and paprika and cook, stirring constantly, until just fragrant but not browned, about 20 seconds. Add shrimp and cook until pink and opaque, about 2 minutes per side. Stir in beans, vinegar and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley.
- Divide the green beans among 6 plates. Top with the shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with pepper and the remaining 1/4 cup parsley.