There are so many kinds of winter squash. Here is a simple recipe using butternut squash.
Spice-Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Onions (Woman’s Day Kitchen)
Total time: 45 min.; prep: 15 min.; serves 4
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- .13 tsp. cayenne pepper
- kosher salt
- 2 small butternut squash
- 2 small red onions
- 10 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- Oven to 425 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cumin, coriander, nutmeg, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Divide the squash, onions, and thyme between 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Toss the vegetables on each sheet with 2 tablespoons oil, then half the spice mixture.
- Arrange in a single layer and roast, turning once, until golden brown and tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Techniques
Make Ahead: Refrigerate the roasted squash and onions for up 1 day. To serve, bring the vegetables to room temperature, arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer and warm in a 375 degrees F oven for 10 to 15 minutes.