Quick and easy Indian okra recipe! Get your okra from Genova Farms at the Market today from 2:30 – 5:30 PM!
- Serves 4
- 1 Pound Okra
- ½ Onion
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric (Haldi) Powder
- ¾ Teaspoon Garam Masala
- ¾ Teaspoon Raw Mango Powder (Amchur)
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Butter (optional)
- Thoroughly wash okra under running water
- Pat okra dry on a paper towel. Make sure it is completely dried to prevent mucus when cutting
- Cut okra into small pieces (1 cm) and discard the tip and ends of it.
- Set aside cut okra in a dry bowl
- Cut onion into fine long pieces
- In a pan, heat oil and add cut okra. Fry on medium heat till okra is about half cooked (aprx. 7-10 mins)
- Add cut onions and 1 tbs butter (optional). The butter reduces dryness if desired.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and chili powder
- Stir in spices with the onion and okra. Mix it well and let it cook for aprx. 5 mins
- Add garam masala & Amchur (mango powder) when onions brown. Tamarind powder can substitute mango powder. Mix well. Cook for 3-4 mins… Done!
Recipe adapted from/courtesy of: http://www.kitchenbowl.com/recipe/93koGWYs8t/bhindi-do-pyaza-okra-onion-curry-