Atchison Farmers’ Market
Fresh, Friendly, Local
Market E-Newsletter for Saturday, September 7, 2013
8 a.m. to 12 noon
September has come, but cannot decide if it is autumn or still summer. The cool mornings with ground fog are beautiful.
The Atchison Art Association will be with us this Saturday. Come by their booth, have breakfast, and enjoy their activity. The September Market Bundle Giveaway will also take place this Saturday.
We will have one more Market Bundle Giveaway on the first Saturday of October. Go by Lynn Hoffman’s stand to register.
Musicians are welcome to play at the Market. Just call me (Betty Fischer) so I can advertise for you (913 709 5050).
Vendor Produce (Saturday, August 17):
Cedar Lane Farm (Carrie Kesse and Kirk Russell)
Organically grown produce and plants.
Chic Gypsy Café (Sierra Fox)
Espresso drinks (lattes, breves, cappuccinos, . . .etc.) and teas – iced as well, smoothies, , creamy chai teas, Italian cream sodas, freshly brewed drip coffee, cold pressed, and iced coffee.
Cupcake Haven (Haven Fry)
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Twix, and Peaches & Cream cupcakes. Also, Breakfast Quiches.
DT Farms (Dan and Trina Earl)
Corn, peppers, and tomatoes.
Elias Honey (Chuck Elias)
New summer honey, honey sticks.
Emilie Koehn – The Pie Lady
Fruit pies, bread, sweet rolls, and cookies.
Genova Farms (Debbie and Mark Genova)
Green beans, new potatoes, sweet onions, beets, carrots, okra, and cucumbers.
Jirak Farm (Mark Jirak and Family)
Cantaloupe, bell peppers, sweet corn, cucumbers, green beans, squash, tomatoes, and watermelon.
L & R Farms (Monie Frakes)
Sweet candy onions, green beans, new potatoes, tomatoes, sweet corn, zucchini, yellow squash, patty pan squash, okra, cucumbers, sweet banana peppers, hot banana peppers, eggplant, and peaches, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, carrots, brussel sprouts, cantaloupe, and watermelon.
Long View Farm (Gunther and Betty Fischer)
Beets, brown eggs, garlic (Music and Elephant), jams (apple butter, gourmet five fruit, peach, and pear honey), leeks, potatoes (Purple Mountain, Corola, Colorado Rose, and Yukon), hot peppers, large and cherry tomatoes, zinnias, and French bread.
Lynn Hoffman (Market Manager)
Quick breads, jams and jellies, dog biscuits.
Mallow Farm (Barbara Bramblett and Jim Mallow)
A variety of fresh produce.
The Tortilla Man (Gilbert Gasper)
Fresh homemade tortillas.
Providence Farm (Christy Harris)
Artisan breads made with locally grown organic wheat, brown eggs, goat milk soap and lotion, and snow cones.
Willenskraft (Rick Vanderweide and Cindy Timmons)
Garlic pesto varieties.
Here is a great recipe for an Autumn supper.
Leek Potato Pancakes Recipe
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 pounds medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender, adding leeks during the last 3 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl; mash with eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in leeks. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sour cream. Yield: 12 pancakes.
From: Taste of Home