Atchison Farmers’ Market
Fresh, Friendly, Local
Market E-Newsletter for Saturday, July 6, 2013
8 a.m. to 12 noon
It is the beginning of July and a long awaited product will make its appearance at the market: fresh sweet corn. The Jirak Family will be at the market this Saturday with corn and other produce.
The first Saturday of the month also brings the second winner of the Bundle Give Away. Lyn will give away the bundle around 10 a.m. You can begin registering for the August Bundle today at Lyn’s stand.
We will have two features at the Market. The Atchison Art Association will return with a fund raiser of biscuits and gravy and a fun project for children. We will also welcome Terry Heineken, a musician with ties to the Atchison Library.
Enjoy your day at the market.
Note: There will be no e-newsletter for July 10, 13, and 17. It will be back for the July 20th Market (Amelia Weekend), when we will be located across the street from the post office at the corner of 7th and Kansas Avenue.
Vendor Produce (Saturday, July 6):
Cedar Lane Farm (Carrie Kesse and Kirk Russell)
Organically grown produce and plants.
Chic Gypsy Café (Sierra Fox)
Espresso drinks (lattes, breves, cappuccinos, . . .etc.) and teas – iced as well, smoothies, , creamy chai teas, Italian cream sodas, freshly brewed drip coffee, cold pressed, and iced coffee.
Cupcake Haven (Haven Fry)
Cupcakes (mandarin orange, strawberry, and nutella), and “Jolly Rancher” suckers.
DT Farms (Dan Earl)
Cucumbers, green beans, and zucchini.
Elias Honey (Chuck Elias)
Honey and honey sticks.
Jirak Family Farm (Mark, Theresa, and the children)
Sweet corn and summer squash.
Emilie Koehn – The Pie Lady (Yes, she will be at the market this week.)
Fruit pies, bread, sweet rolls, and cookies.
Genova Farms (Debbie and Mark Genova)
Beets, green beans, kale, sweet onions, new potatoes, New Zealand spinach.
L & R Farms (Monie Frakes)
Cabbage, green beans, kohlrabi, candy onions, new potatoes, turnips, beets, tomatoes, and peaches.
Long View Farm (Gunther and Betty Fischer)
Beets (Chioggia and Detroit Red), fresh brown eggs, cabbage, dill, garlic, onions, Yukon gold new potatoes, fresh lavender, rutabaga, Japanese turnips, zucchini, jams (strawberry-rhubarb jam, peach jam, and rhubarb vanilla) and fresh flowers.
Lyn Hoffman (Market Manager)
Quick breads, jams and jellies, dog biscuits.
Mallow Farm (Barbara Bramblett and Jim Mallow)
May be at the market with tomatoes.
The Tortilla Man (Gilbert Gasper)
Fresh homemade tortillas.
Providence Farm (Christy Harris)
Artisan breads made with locally grown organic wheat, brown eggs, goat milk soap and lotion, and snow cones.
Willenskraft (Rick Vanderweide and Cindy Timmons)
Garlic scape pesto.
Corn with Bacon and Mushrooms
Serves: 6, Total Time: 25 min
- 2 slice(s) bacon
- 1/2 cup(s) thinly sliced shallots
- 3 cup(s) sliced mixed mushrooms, such as oyster, shiitake, and/or baby bella
- 4 ear(s) corn kernels cut from cob (see Tips & Techniques)
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and chop.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, about 3 minutes more. Add corn kernels and water and cook until the corn is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chopped bacon and season with salt and pepper.